UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2022, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Heidi Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heidi Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2022 14:41:16 -0500
Around 1:00 today my daughter called to say she had just rescued a pileated from the side of the road. (4A near Shaker village, in Enfield) She assumed it had been hit as it was thrashing about on the road.  She  pulled over to help it out of the road. As she approached, it had no signs of blood  or feathers out of place. It calmed down as she gently lifted it off the road. She said it had blue/purple coloring on the sides of its beak. It let her wipe off its beak with her finger. She gently set it under a tree away from the road,  and she went on her way. After dropping  her daughter at daycare, she passed back by and another person had stopped and was watching it.
I have no more info on this bird, I hope it is ok. I’m wondering if it ate some fermented berries/grapes, and that may have caused it to be confused, “drunk?”
If anyone has any more info, I would very much like to know how this pileated made out.
Heidi Rogers
Alton, NH
Sent from my iPhone

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]