UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2013, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Tim and Janet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim and Janet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 08:16:44 -0400
While preparing land last evening at Crossroad Farm, I spotted two of our 6 returning Killdeers.  They have been back for several weeks but I really did not not expect to see a nest this early.  They evidenced no distress sign.  I continued on my merry way but on alert.  Ten minutes later, I notice one to my left, then suddenly in front of me another jumped to my right, flashed out its wings in distress and I slammed on my brakes.  There not more then three feet in front of the tractor was a nest with 4 eggs.  I carefully back up, drove around, and the killdeer returned to its nest.  I marked the spot with a orange flag.  The rest of the field preparation went smoothly.  The killdeer sat quietly on its nest watching me and I, in turn, watched it.
Tim Taylor
Crossroad Farm