UV-BIRDERS Archives

November 2013, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Spencer Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Spencer Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2013 19:16:01 -0500
Not the Upper Valley, but 10 mostly local birders joined the Mascoma Chapter of New Hampshire Audubon for a chilly, yet productive outing in the Dead Creek Area in the Champlain Valley

As we pulled up to the goose viewing area just before 9:30 this morning, an estimated 4,000 Snow Geese swirled in front of us. A single, dark bird held the attention of the entire flock, and quickly grabbed ours--Golden Eagle. Distant, but diagnostic and satisfying views through the scopes as it floated north into the wind. Likely a 3rd year bird as the tail had white, but not the wings.

Elsewhere in Paton and Addison we came across a remarkable 49 shorebirds of at least 5 species. No sign of the Long-billed Dowitchers that have been a Brilyea for the last month.

Champlain Bridge--1 Greater Yellowlegs
Whitney Creek--18 Pectoral Sandpipers, 2 Dunlin, 1 White-rumped Sandpiper
MCcuen Slang-- 3 Greater Yellowlegs
Stone Bridge Dam-- 2 Wilson's Snipe, 1 Dunlin, 3 Peeps--originally identified as juvenile Semipalmated Sandpipers, but possibly juvenile White-rumped (a plumage I don't have much experience with...photos)
Paton Road--19 Dunlin, 1 adult White-rumped Sandpiper

Other birds of note included 1 dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk in West Addison, a female Black Scoter and 9 White-winged Scoters at the Champlain Bridge.

All in all a great day out in the wind!

Spencer Hardy
Middlebury, VT