UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2010, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Anne Mitts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Mitts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2010 14:55:46 -0400
Hello,  I don't get much time to actually go places to bird watch but between
my own backyard feeding station in Newport, NH and the feeder at work in
sunapee, NH, I am seeing plenty. Here is a list of birds that I have seen over
the past two weeks.

My house:                                                 In Sunapee:
red winged blackbirds                                   Cardinals
common grackles                                         phoebe
Brown headed cowbirds                                rose-breasted nuthatch
rose-breasted grossbeaks                             downy woodpeckers
evening grossbeaks                                      hairy woodpeckers
black-capped chickadees                              black-capped chickadees
tufted titmouse
gray catbird
blue jays
ruby throated humming bird
another hummingbird that is a mystery
baltimore orioles
chipping sparrow
song sparrow
white crowned sparrow
white -throated sparrow
white-breasted nuthatch
northern flicker
red-bellied woodpecker
hairy woodpecker
chestnut-sided warbler
robins
turkey vultures

I have not seen the goldfinches, purple finches and the pair of cardinals at my
feeders since we had that very warm weather a few weeks ago. Not sure
where they went to. any thoughts?

About the mystery humming bird. There was a male ruby-throated humming
bird at the feeder and a larger hummingbird was there also. Not sure if it was a
female. I will post pics at my blog and post the link when I can and maybe one
of you could help me with it.
At work I saw a huge bird with a chipmunk in it's talons. I looked at many
picutres in my bird books and online but can't decide if it is a peregrine falcon
or some kind of hawk. It had a very dark head, back and wings and an almost
white belly. I only wished I had my camera with me. It was so close to the
window and I got a great look at him.
Another funny thing happened yesterday at work. I happened to look out at
the lake and thought a boat was going by but on closer look it was a bird
making this huge wake. There were actually two and they went very quickly
through the water like they were paddling. They never took flight and went
across the lake in this fashion. I didn't get a good look at them but I have
never seen any water bird do this unless it was about to fly.
Ok enough for now. Thanks Anne