UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2011, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:26:05 -0500
Hello Birders,

Just a quick update on the ever growing Vermont County Bird Quest.

1. We have had many counties join the fun and they are all updated at
http://www.vtecostudies.org/quest/countycaptains.html. There are only 3
counties that have not officially joined the fun.

2. We have added more prize categories. Specifically, a youth division!
Let's get the next generation of birders excited about birding and
conservation! See http://www.vtecostudies.org/quest/rules.html. We have some
great prized already donated from some of the sponsors - Birds and Beans
Coffee, Cornell Lab of Ornithology and VCE. Check out the sponsors at
http://www.vtecostudies.org/quest/sponsors.html.

3. We have updated the quest web page with an RSS feed of the number of
species found in each county updated daily and other goodies. You can click
and subscribe directly to the feed if you'd like.
http://www.vtecostudies.org/quest/birdreport.html

Finally, we are working on coming up with a par or weighted system to make a
level playing field for all the counties to compare results. It will allow
us to compare Addison with Essex or Bennington with Washington! Stay tuned
as we come up with this handicap system.

Enjoy birds and have fun with the County Bird Quest.

Kent

Kent McFarland

Conservation Biologist

Vermont Center for Ecostudies