UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2023, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Tim Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2023 09:38:36 -0400
Janet and I have watched with interest as a pair of Merlins nested this spring high up in a pine tree behind our house. All spring and summer we have heard them on and off all day long as they go about their business killing off our favorite songbirds. (Well maybe just Mourning Doves and there are plenty of them). You might remember me writing about the bluebirds trying to decide whether to nest in our box back in march and April. They rejected our box, as did a pair of Tree Swallows. We figure the proximity of the Merlins might have influenced their choice.

Today, as I walked through the endlessly wet fields here at Crossroad Farm, 4 Merlins flew out of the pine tree, flying high up together,  carry on in their screechy, whiny voices. They landed together in a tall cherry snag. Shortly, one flew off overhead heading north perhaps in search of food to feed what we believe are 2 immatures. They perched together for several minutes before heading back to one of their favorite perches.

If any of you raptor lovers would like to come and study them, feel free to come by. On another note, we have a number of Indigo Buntings here at the farm. They seem to sing as much as any bird right now in mid summer.

Our trails are wet and the mosquitoes fierce, but you are always welcome to walk the trails.

Tim Taylor

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]