UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2020, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2020 18:28:32 -0400
My great appreciation goes to Jim Block for sharing his impressive and enjoyable series of photos of tail wagging, wing movements, and other behavior by a Least Bittern in West Lebanon on July 31st. Although he obtained all the pictures within 20 minutes, a much longer time was required for him to prepare them for viewing through UVB.

The suggestion that side to side tail wagging by foraging Least Bitterns might serve to attract prey seems to remain a viable hypothesis though one perhaps not easily tested.

George Clark
Norwich, VT