UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2013, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Karen A. Kluge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen A. Kluge
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 18:56:19 +0000
No, not the infamous owl, but we just had a Great Gray Shrike (as they call it in Europe, Northern Shrike on this side of the Pond) in our yard here in Hanover!

The behavior was curious -- it kept perching around a couple of the trees in our yard, peering intently at the trunks, sometimes hovering so that it could inspect the bark up close where there was no perch.  It's like 14 degrees outside so it's hard for me to believe it was looking for any kind of insects.   Anybody know what this behavior is about?

Karen Kluge/Terry Rosenmeier
Hanover, NH