UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2013, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2013 21:49:30 -0400
The second bluebird nest in Hillside Cemetery completed fledging today.
I checked it yesterday at 6 pm, and only one of the 4 chicks remained
(all 4 had been present the previous evening).  At 4 pm today, the box
was empty.  The pair's first nest fledged 6 nestlings on June 6, and I
found 4 eggs in the box on July 11.  The family was nowhere to be seen
today.

This pair (assuming the same individuals, which is not necessarily the
case) nested considerably later this year than in the previous three,
probably because of the cold, late spring.  Below is their 2010-2012
history:

2013: fledged first brood of 6 on June 6, second brood of 4 on August 3
2012: fledged first brood of 5 on May 16, second brood of 3 on July 3 or 4
2011: fledged first brood of 5 on May 23, second brood of 4 on July 12
2010: fledged first brood of 4 on May 23 or 24, second brood of 4 on
July 11 or 12

A different pair in nearby Warner Meadows lost its brood of ~6-7 days
old sometime between May 20-23 (apparent exposure), then renested and
fledged 5 chicks sometime between July 5-10.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies