UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2007, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Julie Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julie Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:27:21 -0500
Matt Medler and I headed to Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National
Historic Park in Woodstock early this morning to conduct point counts
for VINS and NPS. En route to the first survey point we heard a
shrill screech. It was a Barred Owl fledgling! We were able to watch
and listen to two fledglings and an adult. The adult made a strange
hooting sound neither of us had heard before. Happily, all three
individuals were captured via point count at the second survey station.

Near the Pogue, there were three Painted Turtles feverishly laying
eggs with holes from several other already departed females. I wonder
how successful they are with all the dogs that visit there. One of
the turtles seemed to be having some difficulty and had three eggs
split open behind her while she continued to lay more. We couldn't
figure out why they would be broken before she had even finished
leaving the nest.

It was nice to get out this morning before the heat wave.

Happy birding,
-Julie and Matt
Hartland, VT