UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2010, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:50:29 -0400
With a risk of straying off topic for this list serve, I'll add a bit
more to recent discussion.

Many thanks to Art Mudge and Bob Norman for contributing to
clarification about the location of the New Hampshire-Vermont border.
The question has arisen in connection with whether bird sightings are
listed for NH or VT, with yesterday's Pied-billed Grebe near the
Ledyard Bridge being one of many examples.

The following quote taken from the Connecticut River Joint Commissions
website seems to represent the most commonly heard current view of the
issue:

"The border between New Hampshire and Vermont was set by King George
II in 1764 as the western bank of the Connecticut River. The U.S.
Supreme Court re-affirmed this boundary in 1934 as the ordinary low-
water mark on the Vermont shore, and markers were set. In some places,
the state line is now inundated by the impoundments of dams built
after this time."

I recall that not many years ago, when a landowner wished to place a
dock extending from a Norwich property into the Connecticut River,
authorization had to be obtained from Hanover.

In areas flooded by the Wilder Dam, such as between Hanover and
Norwich, reporting the exact location of state and town for birds seen
along the western side of the river can be a challenge. As far as I'm
aware, there are no readily available maps showing the detailed
position of the submerged boundary. Simply stating that birds were
seen near the boundary between the states is not entirely satisfactory
because so many compilations and descriptions of the distribution of
birds are presented by state. It would seem generally OK to say that
birds seen on or over the main body of the river constitute New
Hampshire records.

However, when water levels are drawn down, the cove by Foley Park can
be seen to be west of the main channel of the Connecticut River so
that birds found in the cove would seem to be appropriately considered
as Vermont records.

(In the Norwich 2010 Birding Quest program, the arbitrary rules for
counting species state that birds found while the observer is standing
in Norwich can be counted for the 2010 Norwich list, even though those
birds may actually be in adjacent towns.)

George

George Clark

Norwich, VT