SAHALIYAN Archives

May 2006, Week 3

SAHALIYAN@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH>EDU

From:
Pamela Crossley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sahaliyan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 11:37:04 -0400
Dear Adam,

It seems to me your advice to regard tngri in various forms as
"Altaic" is perfectly good.  On the other hand, there is probably no
reason to expect that Tungusic names, including Korean, must be
Tungusic in derivation.  There are plenty of loanwords, especially in
names, from Turkic all over the Northeast and in Korean history, I've
noticed.