PALEOBOT Archives

April 2010

PALEOBOT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Ian M. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:06:46 -0400
Dear Colleague,

If you are interested in helping the general public understand what it is we do
and why it is important, please consider participating in our theme session on
this topic at the upcoming GSA meeting in Denver. This theme session (Earth
System Science in Museums) focuses on addressing the widening gap between
developments in scientists’ understanding of the complexity of the earth
system, and our ability to convey that knowledge to the general public.
Museums are at the front line of this issue because of their role in informal
science education, and as this gap widens, they are positioned to become the
leaders of earth systems science education. The problem is that most
museums don’t know how to effectively teach the complexity of earth systems
in a way that spans demographics and yet still engenders the spark of
discovery.

To investigate this issue and share ideas on how to address this widening
knowledge gap, we have designed a GSA topical session to bring together
scientists involved designing past/future earth science exhibits to discuss the
challenges and potential of conceiving, designing, building, and implementing
effective exhibits and programming that address earth system science. The
basic goal is to explore how to move beyond the classic geology exhibit of
systematically displayed mineral specimens to compelling and interactive
displays and programming that address and teach the underlying processes of
the earth system from the center of the planet to the top of the atmosphere
while engaging the public at multiple levels (i.e. across a range of
demographics) and engendering the spark of discovery in visitors. The
overarching themes to convey will focus on effectively delivering the
complexity of earth systems in a museum setting. The themes will include
temporal and spatial scales, remote sensing, the use of models, and
uncertainties. Additional education topics could include mechanisms for high
impact outreach and the citizen science research opportunities that are
unique to museums.

We are looking for a wide range of perspectives on this broad topic and would
greatly appreciate a submission from you. The session, titled “Earth System
Science in Museums: Tapping the Potential to Engage the General Public in the
Complexity of the Earth” is sponsored by the Geoscience Education Division
and the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. To submit an abstract to
session T80 please go to http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2010AM/cfp.epl. We are
planning a reception following the session to continue with informal discussion
of the presentations. If you have any questions or would like to discuss ideas
for a submission please don’t hesitate to contact one of us.

Sincerely,

Ian Miller, Kirk Johnson and Whitey Hagadorn
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO 80205