PALEOBOT Archives

August 2010

PALEOBOT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
David Kay Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:08:10 +0200
Walter Buechler schrieb:
> Dear PaleoListserv member,
> I am interested in changes of venation patterns in response to changes in
> environmental parameters (temperature, water availability, elevation etc.). So
> far I found that several modern species of Salix subg. Protitea (according to
> Skvortsov an evolutionary “retarded” subgenus) may vary from
> eucamptodromous to brochidodromous (semicraspedodromous?), and to
> producing straight intramarginal veins as a function of latitude. As an example,
> Salix nigra is eucamptodromous in Quebec and northeastern USA, and
> brochidodromous in Florida, Texas, and Mexico). Because of overall climate
> cooling since Eocene times one would expect to find more brochidodromous
> Salix leaves in the fossil record than in modern Salix leaves from similar
> latitudes. This does, however, not seem to be the case. Has anybody seen S.
> nigra –like fossil leaves (e.g. S. inquirenda, S. succorensis, S. desatoyana or
> any other long, narrow-leaved species) with a brochidodromous
> (semicraspedodromous?) venation or an intramarginal vein? I am attaching an
> image of a cleared S. nigra leaf (from Mexico) as an example of a
> brochidodromous (semicraspedodromous?) venation pattern. I would very
> much appreciate any feedback on this matter.
> Sincerely,
> Walter Buechler

Dear Walter,

Can you tell me where this willow tree was growing? Why is it trying to
conserve water (intramarginal vein), if it is growing on a riverbank? If
there is enough water available, evapotranspiration is advantageous as
it will increase the uptake of nutrients and lead to increased growth.

David K. Ferguson