PALEOBOT Archives

August 2010

PALEOBOT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Walter Buechler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:52:52 -0400
Dear David,
Thank you very much for your response! - The Salix nigra Marsh. leaf that I
attached to my previous message is from a herbarium voucher from Muzquiz,
State of Coahuila, Mexico. The label says that it was collected in the “open
valley floor”. That is all the information I have. George Argus (in Flora of North
America) gives the following habitat types for that species: floodplains, edges
of ponds and lakes, swamps, marshes, white cedar bogs, wet meadows, open
fields, roadside ditches, and mixed upland deciduous woods along streams. I
therefore assume that water availability is not an issue in places where S.
nigra is naturally growing. The balance between water availability and
evapotranspiration could, of course, be disturbed in an extreme dry-air
climate. The climate in Muzquiz is very dry (ave. yearly precipitation 6.76
inches), but another S. nigra leaf from the East Coast of Florida (Jacksonville,
ave. yearly precipitation 52.75 inches) has a venation pattern similar to the
one from Mexico.
If salicoid teeth are thought to function as “overflow valves”, then I don’t
think that this venation pattern (intramarginal vein combined with a densely
toothed margin) would conserve much water. The teeth are still connected to
the secondary vein system (via tertiary gauged veins). In this respect the
venation pattern is not that different from a eucamptodromous pattern
(except for the added intramarginal vein). To conserve water the number of
teeth would have to be significantly reduced, which is not the case in the
Muzquiz specimen or any of the others.
I have reason to assume that the occurrence of intramarginal veins (in S.
nigra) at low latitudes is not the result of an evolutionary step-by-step
adaptation to a different climate. A S. babylonica L. plant from Langtang
Valley, Nepal (alt. 3500 m) produced  a eucamptodromous venation pattern  in
its original growing place and an intramarginal vein after being transplanted by
cuttings to Boise, Idaho (alt. 850 m). After a second move to a slightly higher
elevation (ca. 950 m) it returned to a eucamptodromous venation pattern.
The first Boise location had a rich topsoil and flood irrigation. The second
location has an artificially enriched sandy substrate and drip irrigation. Growth
rate in the first (Boise) location was somewhat higher than in the second one,
but both plants are thriving well. This finding suggests that venation pattern is
more flexible than previously thought and may be responding to some
environmental factors.
I would like to check the latitude dependence of the venation pattern in
another subg. Protitea species, S. humboldtiana Willd. Its natural distribution
ranges from northern Mexico to southern Chile (Patagonia). Salix humboldtiana
does develop intramarginal veins, but so far I have only seen leaves from
Mexico and from a place near Buenos Aires, Argentina. If somebody has
access to herbarium material from northern and southern Chile I would very
much appreciate one or two mature leaves from each plant.
Concluding, I would like to repeat my original question: Has anybody seen
fossil (Cenozoic) Salix or Salix-like specimens with intramarginal veins?
Sincerely,
Walter Buechler