NISUS Archives

December 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2010 08:59:53 +1100
Cricket is very simple, Ferren. It is a form of offensive-defensive
play like soccer invented by the English so they could impose it on
other peoples then demonstrate pseudo humility when beaten on the
field by those people whom they look down on.

there is one major difference between the two games -- soccer, being
essentially lower class, is essentially fair in that both sides have
an equal number of men (or persons, these days) on the field with the
same territory, while cricket, being essentially upper class, has a
significant element of bullying, with only two batsmen on the field
(and one of them rendered helpless), being attacked by all 11 men of
the other team.

it ought to be said that while soccer might be lower class in its
origins it is still distinctively English in its eccentricity -- who
else would not only invent a game in which you stood out in the snow
and encouraged a cold, wet, leather-covered ball to hit you on the
head ... and then have gall to "sell" it to a startled world as a
serious game?

:D

As you say -- thank goodness for Kino re. macros.

Cheers, geoff