NISUS Archives

April 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Browne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:21:14 +0100
Something I only discovered after visiting the Apple Shop yesterday, is that the AirPort built into in my newish iMac, is a receiver only. To make a wireless printer work, it has to receive an Internet signal. This means either:

A transmission directly from the wireless router that brings the Internet to the Mac.
or
A transmission from a separate wireless router connected to the Mac, such as Apple's AirPort Express.

I do not have a wireless router for the Internet, so my printer will not work except via USB.
Brian, I guess that you are connected to the Internet via a wireless router. If this is so, it does not matter if your iMac is on or off as her printer is receiving a signal directly from the wireless router.

If this is all rubbish, my apologies, but please tell me.

Doug

Who is broadening his sphere of ignorance!