NISUS Archives

July 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
paolo savonuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 2010 10:52:48 -0300
On 09/lug/2010, at 22:04, Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm noodling around with hardware and I'm wondering about the advantages of the rather expensive "solid state drives" offered by Apple.
>
> Would they significantly speed up stuff?

... recently bought a MBA and... yes: *reading* speed is dramatically faster (this "thing" boots in 20" or less)

but *writing* speed is slower, in particular with large files :-(

> Also being solid state, I'm thinking that should mean that basically it should be pretty much unbreakable. Today's HDs are pretty rugged, but ...

... in 15 years using Mac laptops, the only reason I had to swap an HD was to get a larger one

personally I wouldn't consider an optional solid state drive: got this one just because it came with the machine (my choice was rather processor based)
--
paolo
(from my iPhone)