NISUS Archives

October 2015

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Hamid Haji <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2015 11:11:21 +0100
On 22 Oct 2015, at 10:52, spaelti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hamid,
> I think Takamitsu’s problem is something else. He wants to index items that have “Ps” followed by some numbers, but he doesn’t know which numbers. Or rather we wants to index “Ps” followed by any suitable pairs of numbers. In my understanding the "Index using word list" feature would require to list every combination of possible numbers. It does not accept wildcards.
> Philip
[…]

Hello Takamitsu,
1. Using Philip’s formula in PowerFind Pro, press the Find All button.
2. Switch to the document window, and while all found are selected in a non-contiguous selection, press Command-C to Copy.
3. Open a new file and Press Command-V (Paste). This will paste all the occurrences, each on a separate line.
4. Select all and run the sort command.
5. Run the macro to eliminate duplicate paragraphs. Now only one occurrence of all the found items will be in the list.
6. Convert the list to Table.
7. Select all and Copy.
8. Insert column to the right and while all the cells are selected, Paste. Now you have the word file needed to to mark your document for indexing.

Hamid