NISUS Archives

December 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2010 08:48:07 +1100
I did have an occasion when it popped up and was very active up front
a few months ago. I don't know what triggered it. Then a couple of
days ago, I couldn't find my email attachments. Eudora has been
putting them in the same folder (labelled, highly imaginatively,
"Attachments") for years -- and suddenly the new ones weren't going
there. I found them in a folder marked "0000" inside a folder named
"00" inside an unused iPhoto library (I have multiple iPhoto
libraries -- I use iPhoto Buddy to create and manage them). And the
other stuff in that folder was faces images.

Well!!! After I had checked Eudora's prefs (the attachments pref was
correct, but I reset it and now it is working correctly again as it
has for about two decades) and stopped worrying about how that funny
folder had started grabbing my attachments, I returned to thinking
about tht stupid (for me) faces feature and wondering how much those
faces fattening my iPhoto libraries.

I'll get iLife 2011 shortly (thanks for the pointer, Brian) and that
should fix it all.

I use iPhoto for importing and storing my pix and also for
preliminary editing -- straightening horizons and whatnot, getting
exposure, colour, contrast and dynamic range right, perhaps
sharpening a little. Cropping too, from time to time. Red eye, of
course, where necessary. I am finding it a very useful tool.

I'm still using Canvas X as my primary graphics program for both
raster and vector. I was concerned a few years ago about Canvas
falling behind in the raster area (it's about equivalent to Pshop 4-5
with a handful of updating bells and whistles and some very useful
wrinkles of its own) and started supplementing it with PhotoLine.
However, iPhoto is now providing some of the quick fix bits Canvas is
less good at so I've stopped using PhotoLine. I'm anticipating the
new version of iPhoto will provide me with further editing tools.

Kind regards

Geoffrey Heard
Business writer, Editor, Publisher
The Worsley Press