NISUS Archives

December 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2010 21:11:54 +1100
Ola Paolo

>On 03/dic/2010, at 22.35, Geoffrey Heard wrote:
>
>>  Why does Apple do these incredibly stupid backward step things?
>
>... also consider, if you can live with a 128GB
>hd, taking a look at the Apple Store Deals
>(refubished) section to see if any previous
>generation 2.13 MBA is available in your area ;-)
>in the italian store I saw one, yesterday, for about 1100¤
>
>I mostly work with photography and, trust me, 2GB RAM will do just fine
>
>oh... be prepared: it's not an issue but...
>these  little beasts become really, really,
>really hot: don't even think of holding one on
>your laps. I'm not joking!

Oh, but heat IS an issue. I'm working in
unairconditioned places most of the time. I'm
accustomed to having a little stand with fans
under the laptop when I'm using it at home or in
the office, but when I'm out in the field, I
don't want to be carrying that too. And I
wouldn't want it running down the power. Looks
like I should consider moving back a step to the
MacBook Pro 13" -- that runs hot but not so hot
that it is uncomfortable on the legs. Well, most
of the time, anyway.

Hmmm -- very puzzling.

>but I confirm it' s the best portable I've ever
>had (maybe even better with my first one, the PB
>100, in... what was it? 1991?)
>

>>>  and, btw #2... once back home I bought an
>>>iMac 27": the ideal home/travel setup :-p
>>
>>  Good grief, Paolo, you do go the whole hog!
>>I'll make do with just the big screen at home,
>>I think -- my current set-up with the 13" white
>>but I'll substitute the Air.
>
>see above ;-)
>you *can* work with images on a 13" display
>if/when you have to, but on a 27"one ... it's
>pure pleasure

Ha! I plug in a 22" Benq monitor or a 19" LG
(depending on location) and that'll do me. I
would like an Apple one, of course, but ...

Warm regards

Geoffrey Heard
Business writer, editor, publisher
The Worsley Press
Buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just
making pretty shapes?" -- the world's ONLY
scientifically based guide to type and layout,
and receive a free 140 page guide to advertising
for small business: "How to make great ads for
(small) business: 99 real world advertising ideas
to kickstart *your* business today". Amazon or
http://www.worsleypress.com