NISUS Archives

April 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 23:29:02 +0900
Many of you here have had difficulties in editing a large document or a document having a lot of footnotes. Handling such a document is not an easy task for computer programs because addition or deletion of a single word may affect the layout of a large portion of the document, which forces them to do a lot of calculations. But NWP seems to do such a calculation when it is not necessary too. And I think this would be one of the reasons of NWP's bad performance in handling such a document.

Personally, I have not examined the problem attentively. My documents do not have so many footnotes and usually I edit documents with in-line notes which will be converted into footnotes at the last stage. However, today I created a document having many and long footnotes by converting an e-text and played with it.
<http://www2.odn.ne.jp/alt-quinon/temp/testfile_rtf.zip> (Blank Page at p. 176)

Obviously, NWP is doing unnecessary calculations. If I insert a space in an empty paragraph, NWP remains unresponsive for ten seconds or so, continuing to consume 100 % of CPU power. I don't know exactly what NWP is doing but I would not be very wrong in thinking it is the calculation of layout changes.

The same result when you delete the space. But insertion or deletion of a space before LF (return) never affects the page layout. This is just an example among many others. NWP should not need doing a long and complicated calculation, for example, when addition of a word does not increase the total number of lines of a paragraph. Generally speaking, NWP should determine the scope of text portion affected by an editing operation before doing such a calculation.

Kino