NISUS Archives

April 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Sat, 1 May 2010 02:13:51 +0900
On Apr 30, 2010, at 5:08 AM, Andrus wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2010, at 10:33 AM, Andrus shared an older reply from Kino:
>> On 2010 Mar 11, Thu, at 11:43 am, Kino wrote:
>>
>> I think this PowerFind Pro expression finds invalid characters:
>>
>> [\x00-\x1F&&[^\t\n\f]]|[\x7F-\x90]
>

> While it is not a macro I found it to be effective for what I had from imported data.

Sorry, Ben, the last \x90 is a typo of mine. It should be \x9F. Also, [\x00-\x1F\x7F-\x9F&&[^\t\n\f]] is simpler.

Use UnicodeChecker <http://earthlingsoft.net/UnicodeChecker/> to get information about them. However, they are just invalid characters in NWP.

> I originally thought they came from the Windows platform, but now I know it is also possible to create them on the Mac by accidentally hitting a wrong key combination.

I have never got such a character by a wrong key combination, at least in Cocoa apps, perhaps because I have assigned most, if not all, of easily combinable key combinations to some functions. Try <http://www.cocoabits.com/KeyBindingsEditor/> if you do the same.

A possible source of those invalid characters, especially \x81, is imported MS Word files. When importing a doc file, NWP uses OpenOffice's filter to convert it into OO's internal file format and then applies another filter for conversion from the internal format to RTF. This RTF export filter seems to be buggy. With a doc file having footnotes and rather many no-ASCII characters, you may get various kinds of mojibake.

Kino