NISUS Archives

June 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Brian Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2011 12:01:49 +1000
The advice I have, from one I trust, is to use the following set of helpers for QuickTime:

1. Perian.
Technically a QuickTime plugin. It therefore adds a large number of translators to those already embodied in QT. The current version 1.2.2 is the last that will support PowerPC Macs or any Mac OSX 10.5 or earlier.
<www.perian.org>

2. Flip4Mac WMV <http://goo.gl/RDRGN> and Silverlight <http://goo.gl/16ED>.
Snow Leopard users need to have QT Player 7 installed in addition to the QuickTime Player.app in the Applications folder. I think Silverlight is installed when Flip4Mac is updated.

3. RealPlayer. Still used on many websites. Get the 'Basic Player' version [not the Plus version] from <http://www.real.com/?mode=rp>

For years I found I could not play various videos. Because I tend to 'collect' applications, eventually I had all of these installed when suddenly, I found I could view almost any video which I came across. I did not know why but the above explained it.

The good news is that all these are FREE except for RealPlayer Plus. You need them all.

Regards from brianF