NISUS Archives

March 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:46:36 +0900
On Mar 24, 2010, at 7:50 PM, Nobumi Iyanaga wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Kino wrote:
>
>> On Mar 24, 2010, at 7:36 AM, Simeon Chavel wrote:
>>
>>> I have a file, about 55-60pp. with about 155-160 footnotes, and on a few of the many pages that have footnote references, the body goes all the way to the bottom of the page, and the footnotes cannot be seen. This does not affect the link between footnotes and their pages - the rest of the footnotes are all on the correct pages.
>>
>> Sounds like a layout bug. I'm not sure if this works but try...
>
> I also think it is a layout bug. In older versions, this happened very often. Now, it is less often, but sometimes, I have the same problem. What I do in such cases is very simply move somehow the page layout dragging with mouse (larger or smaller). In most of cases, this fixes the problem. Of course, for some kinds of documents, you should not move the page layout. Then, I don't know what I would do. Perhaps open the file in MS Word, and save it; then open it again in Nisus Writer Pro...??

Ah, but Word for Mac does not support Hebrew. And it would not be a good idea to use OpenOffice or NWP's export as binary doc. In either case, the conversion is not direct but done through complicated process: rtf => OO's internal file format (odt?) => doc. And OO's treatment of rtf is buggy. So explained Martin when I reported some conversion errors in imported doc files. If you try to use OO to fix the problem, exporting it as odt may be better.

> Another bug is that with some footnotes, the main text area is made sometimes too large, with a large blank space at the bottom of the page, above the footnotes.

And bugs specific to right-to-left scripts may be involved. Perhaps better than Arabic? Contextual character shape selection of Arabic script makes the situation worse. NWP seems to have some difficulties in calculating the length of displayed text.

Personally, I use LaTeX to print documents having footnotes. But this kind of markup language is not for everyone, especially not for right-to-left scripts because commands such as "\footnote{blah blah blah...}" will look "{blah blah blah...}footnote\". That is so confusing that some people still uses a romanization system to create TeX documents in those scripts, even in XeTeX.

Kino