NISUS Archives

March 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2011 12:04:57 +1100
Hiya Gerhard

Apple said this before they released Snow Leopard -- and made Rosetta
an installation option.

I won't be upgrading to Lion. I'm fat and happy (well, I lost 10kg
and that's actually made me happier -- only 10kg to go at which point
I'll be living in a permanent state of ecstasy, I imagine!) on X.6.6.

There is simply no replacement for Canvas X and it runs better than
ever on X.6.6, so that takes priority. In addition, I still run two
other significant old apps -- Eudora 6.2.4 (I had the advertising
version; endearingly, it still asks me from time to time whether I
want to buy the fully paid version), and Personal Organizer 4.5 (from
Chronos).

I guess I *could* go to Mail or something to replace Eudora -- but
why would I want to? Eudora fits my needs and I understand how to use
it.

As for PO -- it's got a couple of little quirks but it still runs
very well and I haven't found an alternative for it. I've been
waiting for Chronos to get the replacement, SOHO Organizer, up to
scratch. They started with SO at v.5, moving right on from PO, but it
has been a flakey disaster. Even v.8 did funny stuff. Now, at v.9,
just released, they finally have it nailed down, I think, but I find
it (a) a screen hog with lots of really useless empty space provided
at the expense of functionality (restricted text boxes floating in a
vast sea of empty background), and (b) still not matching PO for real
organizer functionality. They seem to have set development of such
things aside in favour of a lot of useless (for me) connectivity
stuff. They are also focusing on the development of iApps. Their
choice. My choice is to stay with PO.

Regarding iApps -- Stone, the creator of Create and other graphics
alternatives, has advised that his work for Mac is very much
backburner these days -- he's making much more money developing iApps
than he ever made developing desktop apps.

Is that what Nisus is up to while we're waiting for the next upgrade?  :D

Best regards

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad-Doctor-Online
http://www.ad-doctor-online.com