NISUS Archives

September 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:30:14 +1000
At 11:36 PM +0200 12/9/11, takamitsu muraoka wrote:
>Dear friends,
>
>Does anyone know how to add different running heads on succeeding pages?
>
>Say I have a chapter with 50 pages. On even
>pages I can insert in the Header area on the
>first even page by typing "Chapter I:
>Phonetics." The same text will automatically get
>inserted on all the subsequent even pages.
>On odd pages I want to insert paragraph numbers
>such as "§ 1 - 4", then "§ 5 - 7" and so on. But
>if I type "§ 1 - 4" on the first odd page, the
>same text gets automatically inserted on all the
>subsequent odd pages of Chapter I. How can I
>insert a different text on each odd page? To
>create a new section each two pages is a
>horrible bother. There must be an easier, more
>elegant way to go about it.

With respect, Takamitsu, if the header changes on
every page (or every odd page as here) it is not
actually a "running" head -- it doesn't run. It
stops.

What you are really looking for is desktop layout
app capability; I fear that if we had these
capabilities in NWP it would be a big and bloated
program.  :)

Cheers, geoff