NISUS Archives

November 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:46:44 -0500
Doug,

If you have found the character viewer on the language icon (I think
that's the one you're talking about -- it's an American flag if you're
using American English, etc.), then you should see a column on the left
side of the window listing Arrows, Parentheses, Punctuation, Currency
Symbols, Pictographs, and so on. Everything you want should be there.

For a pretty detailed explanation, go to
http://www.masteryourmac.net/master-your-mac-blog/inserting-apple-special-characters-into-text-in-lion.html.

As for Wingdings and Zapf Dingbats, they don't show up in the font list
in Nisus for me either, but they do in Pages. However, the Character
Viewer should give you the symbols you want. Or you might consider using
Pages; I often prefer it to Nisus anyway, these days, because it's
pretty simple and straightforward. (Or is that a heresy on this list?!).