NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Brownie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 13:57:35 +1000
On Mon Jan 03 2011 13:27:13 GMT+1000 (PGT) Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:

> If you selected an application's icon in OS 10.4.11 and then performed "Get Info" you could deactivate localizations in the upcoming Info pane. I just did this now and to my surprise I notice for the first time that this option is gone in 10.6.5!

Can't say I've ever looked at this option.

> Anyway, If I would have deactivated Japanese in the Info pane while still running Tiger the application would not show menus in Japanese anymore (i.e. as long as the localization was disabled.) In spite of that I guess I would have been able to go on *writing* Japanese with proper Japanese characters in every application notwithstanding. So is removing localizations in Snow Leopard something similar?
>
> If I remove the Icelandic localization will I be able to write and print my name correctly afterwards, i.e. are the characters Thorn (Ž) and Eth (š) still available? Or does the removal only make it impossible to display menus and menu commands in Icelandic?

What removing localisations does is to remove the files inside the
appropriate language folder inside the Resources folder of the
application bundle. These provide strings and user interface definitions
for the application in that language. They do not affect what fonts are
installed, or what languages you can write in. They only affect the
languages used in the interface.

So go ahead and remove all you want. Just don't remove English, or lots
of things will cease to work properly! English is the fall-back language
when a requested language is not available, and lots of things assume
that English is there and behave badly when it isn't.

John
--
John Brownie, [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
Summer Institute of Linguistics      | Mussau-Emira language, Mussau Is.