NISUS Archives

April 2017

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
takamitsu muraoka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2017 23:39:19 +0200
Hello again.

A few years ago some of you guys helped me over indexing. I need to be helped again.

I’m currently writing a Hebrew grammar of Dead Sea Scrolls. Thousands of places in these documents and biblical books are mentioned and discussed in the grammar.
My particular difficulty is Index of passages. For biblical books I went to <Table> and compiled a double column file and listed the names of all the books of the Bible, the two columns looking exactly the same. What I have then done is this.

	1) Open the grammar file.
	2) Select all <Com.+Alt+Control A>
	3) Tools > Index by using word list
	4) Click the double column file, then click Auto index
	5) Put the cursor at the end of the file, <Insert Index>

The outcome is not good at all.
	6) The names of the books are followed by page numbers where they are mentioned, but no chapter or verse number.
	7) Another oddity. The name of only one book is followed by chapter and verse number. On the page concerned the book is mentioned three times. The first <Ct 1.6> doesn’t show, but the second <8.12> (without Ct !!!) does get listed, and also the third <ib. 3.7> as <Ct 3.7>. Absolutely whimsical and fickle! A few years ago when I struggled with indices for a Greek grammar, I ended up spending days manually marking references which have no book name preceding by means of <Index as>.

	Another index is the main one with thousands of references covering nearly one thousand manuscripts or fragments of them, which are labelled with the number of the cave from which a given manuscript was recovered, then numbered, followed by a column number and a line number. Eleven caves have produced these multiple documents. So to name one example: <4Q56 4.25>. Cave 4 produced nearly 600 documents, and I can’t possibly be bothered manually to compile a double column list running to about 1,000 rows. I was hoping that NWP vs. 2 would produce such a list if I only keyed in 1Q, 2Q, 3Q, 4Q, 5Q and so on. But no! The index has only 11 rows!

	How should I proceed? Does part of the work have to be macronised? Then how?

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

村岡崇光