NISUS Archives

April 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:57:44 +1000
At 7:49 PM +0200 18/4/11, Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:
>On 18.04.2011, at 16:56, Geoffrey Heard wrote:
>  >
>>  Ah -- now I have it. You simply right
>>(control) click them, then go to "Open Package
>>Contents" -- IGNORE "Data.noindex", that's just
>>the thumbnails -- go to the folders labelled
>>"Originals" -- which are your original pix --
>>and "Modified" which are the pictures you have
>>pictures you have edited.
>
>Exactly. Let's just hope that in case an iPhoto
>database has become corrupted we can still
>access the originals this way.

And that last is always my concern!  :D

Actually, I am just switching from iPhoto (I
don't like that latest version) to Aperture,
bought from the App Store, and still using
PhotoLine as the principal editor in the same
ways as I used it in iPhoto.

Regarding JPEGs -- one further point is that if
you re using JPEGs from the camera, they have
already undergone processing (including the very
important elimination of barrel and pincushion
lens distortion), some color correction, and
compression. Compare them in size with a RAW
file. Some people obsess about this --
personally, I have my cameras set to Fine JPEG
and the files have more than enough quality for
my purposes. Much more than enough! However, I
don't want to be compressing them again if I can
help it.

Best regards

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad-Doctor-Online