NISUS Archives

October 2015

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Hamid Haji <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2015 20:01:56 +0000
> On 27 Oct 2015, at 16:33, Hajj Ali <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I need help with making the 2 parts of an Arabic line of poetry fully justified and dynamic using NWPro 2.0.7 MacOS 10.6.8
> There used to be such a feature (forced justify tab) in the old NW. Maybe it is hidden in NWPro.

In NWP there is nothing which corresponds to Forced Justify Tab of NW Classic. However, you can adjust kerning to get the same kind of layout, as I mentioned in this post:
http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3431#p15665
In the example I gave there, done in NWP, I could not use a table of three columns because of the footnote reference which is not supported inside a table.

> Someone had written a macro [Justify Fully Arabic (remove kashidas)]. It gives an error in line 16 or 34. It does not work properly.
>
> In Word/Windows, they use the Shift+Enter within a table of three columns:
[…]

You can also use a table of three columns in NWP to justify symmetrically two hemistichs of Arabic poetry on a single line (if there is no footnote reference in the enclosed text), and by adjusting kerning get the expected result. I find this result more elegant than what is obtained by inserting kashidas either manually or by using the macro.

Hamid