NISUS Archives

April 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:10:34 +1000
At 9:53 PM +0200 12/04/11, Knut S. Vikør wrote:
>Den 12. apr. 2011 kl. 01:23 skrev Geoffrey Heard:
>
>>>  But then everyone - well, I donno about the
>>>Arabs - puts volumes of a book onto shelves
>>>backwards with the first page of volume 1
>>>right next to the last page of volume 2.
>>
>  > Huh? I always do my shelves l > r. I thought everyone did.
>
>Take volume 1-4 of your encyclopedia out and put
>them on the table, title page up. Volume 4 is on
>the top. Reading past the last page of the top
>volume (4) brings you to the first page of
>volume 3. My very Norwegian aunt always shelved
>her encyclopedias right to left for this very
>reason, so they would come in the right order
>when taken out as a group.

Ho, ho -- thanks for the thought, Knut, but I
haven't ever needed to read in any sort of
continuous mode through multiple volumes of an
encyclopaedia! Must be those long Nordic nights
that make for opportunities like that.  :)

In any case, the advice is now redundant. The
encyclopaedia is on the laptop ... the book
version has long gone.

Cheers, geoff