NISUS Archives

April 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Ferren MacIntyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2012 05:12:05 -0800
Thanks Geoff: this couldn't have arrived at a more opportune moment! I've been trying, off and on for several years, to persuade Ubuntu to show up on my laptop. A new and working backup system (2-TB Time Capsule/Machine) encouraged me to try once more. Unfortunately, several available dowloads (lynxes, narwhals, ocelots, and pangolins) left me with an unreadable CD and 2 unreadable USB sticks.

Stellar, alas, failed also--but it at least saw the USB stick and read several image files of Ubuntu logos, which is more than anthing else has done.

I suspect that the basic problem is silicopsychological. I have harbored a belief for 50 years that Unix is antediluvian and user-hostile--and my laptop knows this and resents it.

Cheers,

Ferren
(Dr) Ferren MacIntyre
1 ch. des Echarts