NISUS Archives

August 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Brownie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:06:34 +0300
On 22/08/11 1:22 Michael Logue wrote:
> Funny, I still have ~/Library and ~Applications.  But then I use Path Finder.  I believe they are both hidden in the Finder.

I'm using Path Finder as well, but ~/Library is hidden. I've never had
~/Applications, so can't comment on it. It's actually easier to get to
~/Library in Finder than in Path Finder, as Finder allows you to press
option when opening the Go menu and select Library, whereas Path Finder
makes you go through the Go > Go to Folder... dialog and track it down.
> And I live an hour away from the nearest Apple reseller (there are now three in Asheville) and my store in Asheville is 30 minutes away from them.  I am 3 hours from the nearest Apple store in Charlotte, But a mitigating  factor is my step daughter lives less than 20 minutes from the store.  Getting Leopard and Snow Leopard meant calling the store a couple of times a week for 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 weeks to find out when they actually had a copy of the DVD in stock so I could come by and purchase it.  Then I had to use up time and gas getting to the store.  Lion was so easy.  I just let it download at the store while I went about my business.  I took about a half an hour, cost $100 less than Leopard.  I made a copy of the install disk image, put it on an 8 GB thumb drive. Easy.  I save gas, time and money.  I am all for the new delivery method, but I understand opinions and experiences vary.  The only programs that I lost the use of were from Adobe, and I haven't used Adobe Reader or Photoshop Elements 2 or 4 in years.  iPhoto, Graphic Converter and Lightroom do fine.  And I can even run GIMP and all those X11 graphic programs.

There are certainly ups and downs with both systems. Being in Finland
with a fast, cheap, unlimited internet connection, it's nice, apart from
the stupid policies of the Mac App Store. They require you to be
physically in one country where the MAS is officially working, have a
credit card with a billing address in that same country, issued by a
bank in that same country. That's where I'm stuck, with being in Finland
with an Australian credit card. The work-around is to buy iTunes gift
cards from the iTunes Store, apparently. Australia will be easier for
using the MAS, except that internet connections all have caps. But when
I go back to Papua New Guinea, I won't be able to access the MAS at all,
since it has no official existence in PNG. And that's not even
considering the slow, expensive internet connection you get there. The
only way to get Lion in PNG is probably to get the USB stick option from
the Apple Store, which might not even deliver to PNG - I have had things
delivered to an address in Australia.

Isn't Lightroom an Adobe product, too? I use InDesign by choice, and
need to have Flash and Adobe AIR installed to run some other software
that I use, but I've got rid of Adobe Reader. I was going to try out
Pixelmator for graphics (€23.99 in Europe), but the problems with the
MAS have prevented me getting there so far.

The only things I've really missed were some games (Solitaire Till Dawn,
etc). I still have to have MS Office on my computer for dealing with
files created by others and such, but Office 2011 hasn't had enough bugs
to hinder my light use - I use NWP, Numbers and Keynote for my own
projects. I'm reasonably happy with Lion at this point.

John
--
John Brownie, [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
On furlough in Finland from: