NISUS Archives

October 2015

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 2015 08:33:50 +0900
Hello Philip,

Thank you for your reply.

> On Oct 23, 2015, at 4:38 PM, spaelti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It’s true that the word list method--and the same is true for using indexing using the find dialog—wont help you to index places where the specific word or words are not used.
>
> But for the specific case you mention it will work fine. The word list is an “Index as” method. The first column is the item that should be indexed, and the second is the “Index as” term. So you would put the following in your list:
>
> authenticity	authenticity
> authentic		authenticity

Yes, I will certainly do this.

There are cases which can be confusing, for example, I have the name "Yamato" (old name for Japan), and "Yamato-takeru" (the name of a hero in Japanese mythology). For these names, I may have this table:

Yamato	Yamato (old name for Japan)
Yamato-takeru	Yamato-takeru (a hero in Japanese mythology)

Then, "Yamato" in "Yamato-takeru" would be indexed twice, both as "Yamato" and "Yamato-takeru". If in the generated index, the page for "Yamato" appears in the entry for "Yamato-takeru", that is not good. Is there any way to avoid this kind of situation...??

>> I think I should use regex find features for many topics, and add "Index As..." mark to texts. That must be a very time consuming work…?
>
> Well, yes a good index will require a lot of work. For a topical index, you should probably use the word list method for the “first draft”. Index using the word list and then generate the index. Check to see what is indexed and what is missing. Then go back and remove the indexing from places where it is not needed and add it in places which were missed.

In order to remove index mark from words, we have to find these words to which index marks were added, but this seems not easy...? Indexed words can have some color, but it is not very visible. And there is no command to find "Next Indexed Word", or something like this... Is it possible to find these words with regex?

> The different methods are not exclusive. You can use a word list, and the find dialog, or a macro, and index by hand. You also don’t have to have just a single word list. You can make new lists for terms that you find later.

Yes, certainly. All these are very clever advices. Thank you very much!

Best regard,

Nobumi Iyanaga
Tokyo,
Japan