NISUS Archives

March 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:31:51 +1100
Hi all

I am stuck in a Windows network and it is a PAIN!!! I tried for a few
days to use Word (Oh, god, how can anyone make a word processor
interface so unfriendly, even given the time they have had to work on
it? Then I tried working on the Mac and transferring data to the PC
using a flash drive ... the flash drive buggered up at a critical
moment! Aargh!).

However, I have now cunningly reduced my problems in using the Mac in
this environment to one -- email. I need to be on the local email.

I can retain Eudora as my main client with all my old settings,
that's fine, provided I use that through an ethernet cable that plugs
into the main modem BEFORE the Wireless.

Now, Wireless plugs me into the wireless network here -- no worries.
All the Windows computers come up as "shared" -- whatever that means.
What I am thinking I can do is use Mail as the client for the local
email operating through Exchange 2007. It looks possible. However,
the (low level) tech and I couldn't configure it correctly.

Does anyone have experience connecting up a Mac in such an
environment and if so, what is the description of the network and
what is the mail server called. We tried the IP address for the
latter and were told that it was inactive or something.

Any clues?

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

FREE Bonus book offer. Get "How to make great ads for (sm)all
business"  FREE when you buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or
just making pretty shapes?" or "How to Start and Produce a Magazine
or Newsletter". Amazon or www.worsleypress.com