NISUS Archives

November 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Robert B. Waltz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2010 14:29:33 -0600
On 11/5/10, THDW wrote:

>Kino
>
>Thanks for your prompt reply.
>
>Neither string seems to give me what I want. Both strings select end of lines when there is a return.
>
>What I need to know are the surplus returns -  returns (in the middle of a line) whose existence I am not aware of because they coincide with the side of the screen page.
>
>Obviously I can locate some of them by changing the size of the font on the screen.
>
>There is another option which I need to exclude - when there is a question mark followed by an apostrophe.
>
>Therefore I need to identify all the new paragraphs that are not preceded by a full stop, by a full stop and an apostrophe or by a question mark and an apostrophe.

What would keep you from changing any alphabetic character, followed by a return, to FOUND1 followed by a space? If all paragraphs end with a non-alphabetic (whether period, question mark, or quote), this should eliminate all instances of line breaks in the middle of a paragraph.

You don't even need PowerFind Pro for this; plain old PowerFind will do.

--
Bob Waltz

"The one thing we learn from history --
   is that no one ever learns from history."