NISUS Archives

September 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Browne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 08:54:08 +0100
On 15 Sep 2010, at 18:21, Kino wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Kino wrote:
>
> On Sep 14, 2010, at 5:22 PM, Doug Browne wrote:
>
>> As I am the only user, I do not need the Shared folder:   Macintosh HD - Users - Shared. But this is another thing that always reappears after trashing.
>
> I hate to say but I think you should not delete anything created by OS X by default unless you have special and good reasons to do so. Some applications -- even if you have been/are not using any -- assume that what is created by OS X by default does exist, /Shared folder in this case.

You are right, I found this out the hard way when I deleted some Japanese and other fonts from the System. Several applications stopped working and I had to reinstall the OS.

> In my /Users/Shared, I find "CNQL2406_Driver.bundle" which is required by my very cheap Canon Scanner (I don't know how it is called outside of my country), some setting files created by Kawasemi (Japanese input method far better than Apple's) and a folder used by Adobe AIR updaters. I don't know how those apps behave when /Users/Shared does not exist.

I have a cheap, Canon all-in-one and by switching it on and going to Software Update, it installed the latest drivers in   Library  Printers   Canon.

Due to a weird pricing policy, it was cheaper to buy this excellent printer than new cartridges for my HP!

Doug