NISUS Archives

April 2016

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Barbara Nostrand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2016 04:48:46 -0400
Hi!

I received an error message from the list-server, so I am trying this again.

I am having problems with inserting section breaks on the same page. I want to be able to do this so that headers will appear properly on subsequent pages. However, Nisus is effectively not letting me do this if there are footnotes on the page. Is there any kind of work around? Is there some setting that I am missing? Currently, if I insert a “section break same page” and there are footnotes, Nisus jumps to the next page leaving a huge gap of empty space at the bottom of the page.

I am also having a couple of other problems. Nisus is sometimes randomly inserting blank pages. I can usually fix this by removing everything up to the next section break, and reinserting the text.

I am also getting the infinite spinning ball of death on occasion for no apparent reason. Sometimes I get it from trying to type in a single letter. If I wait a couple of minutes, the letter appears, and I get to type another one.

A while back, my default index became corrupt and mysteriously indexes huge blocks of text all over the file. If I try to repair these, the indexed block moves on to the next paragraph. This phenomenon can even be cut and pasted to other files. So, it is infectious. I am able to work around this by creating another index, but I am really curious about why this happened.

So, does anyone have ideas or suggestions about any of these?

Thank you very much!

Barbara Nostrand
Syracuse