NISUS Archives

June 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Robert B. Waltz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:28:40 -0500
On 6/17/11, Geoffrey Heard wrote:

[ ... ]

>Of course, back in that day, if I remember correctly, NW came with a macro for converting to text to Quark format, didn't it?

Nisus Software released an import filter, but it didn't work for me. Never knew why.

There was a macro. The one I wrote. :-) (To give credit, someone else gave me a key idea for making it work.) I posted it to this list years ago, and at least a few people adopted it.

[ ... ]

>Having said all that, Robert, and adding that I have absolutely no knowledge of macro writing, it would seem logical that if you began a macro with selecting all words or paragraphs of a particular style (Menu Bar > Format > Character Style/paragraph Style), it could then proceed to do a find "In Selection" and do stuff like converting it to plain text and adding Quark tags to it.

That's the essential idea of the macro Nobumi Iyanaga mentioned earlier. It finds all the styles in a document, and can select a particular one. Now I just have to figure out how it actually works and cycle through all styles.

The tremendous changes in the macro language from Classic to Pro really do matter here. I'm learning from scratch. I'm a decent programmer -- but the documentation isn't very complete and it isn't organized for the tasks I want to do. So it takes time....

--
Bob Waltz

"The one thing we learn from history --
   is that no one ever learns from history."