NISUS Archives

November 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2011 10:20:49 -0600
On 2011 Nov 5, Sat, at 5:26 am, Hamid Haji wrote:

> You could rename the open file in the Finder. Then, when you save
> the open file again, you get the following dialog:
>
> This document has been renamed to “...”
> It will be saved under this new name, or you can provide another name.
>
> Pressing Save in the dialog will confirm the new name.
>
> Hamid

And just in case you're not directly familiar with how to find the
open file in the Finder, command-click the micro-icon in the
document's title-bar which opens a menu of the full path of said
document.  Choose the first item (the folder where the document
resides) and it brings it up in a new finder window.  (Though in my
OS 10.4.11 it often takes a second try to actually get the target
file selected).

Or at least I presume this still works in more recent versions of Mac
OS.

And as Alan indicates, the name is updated automatically, presumably
only in more recent OS version?  I think I always have to learn of
the name change at save time...

	Ben Andrus
	in Montana, where we just got the first snow of the year in our yard.
	A measly 3 centimeters, but it's fluffy white!
	And the sun is beginning to force itself through the fog! :-)