NISUS Archives

February 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:46:41 +1100
At 3:55 PM -0800 16/2/12, Bob Stern wrote:
>I think I read that Macbook Airs are becoming increasingly popular
>for business users who travel a lot.  If that's true, I don't know
>why Apple isn't paying more attention to preserving the Mac's
>utility for business (word processing, graphics editing, music
>editing, etc) even as it adds features to turn the Mac into a
>vending machine for music and videos.

They're putting a money pump into everyone's pocket.

>Maybe Apple should sell a more expensive version of OS X that is
>optimized for power users rather than emulating an iPad.

We already have X.6.8. With the addition of a quality font menu
manager that was universal across Cocoa and Carbon apps, it would be
the final standard! (But Apple has never supplied a font menu manager
in nearly 30 years of Mac. Amazing, isn't it?)

The joke is that people over on the DPReview Mac Forum are talking
about this rubbish as an "upgrade". Even the name is recycled.
Couldn't they work that one out?

Cheers, geoff