NISUS Archives

February 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2012 20:20:02 -0600
On Feb 18, 2012, at 7:20 PM, Brian Ferguson wrote:

> It has taken me some time to go from an iMac to adding an iPad, first, and then an iPhone.
>
> The latter two came as pre-loved demo devices from Apple and were at a significant discount; the iMac was also preloved.
>
> Bringing the operation of all three devices together is an intelligent move by Apple. I fail to see what all the hoohaa is about. I happen to enjoy using all three and I try to update all software as it comes along. I don't have to worry about earlier systems and applications but it seems to me, that if you depend on older software versions and you have the older machines to work these properly, what is the pressure to upgrade?

	I agree. I like the Apple ecosystem. I also use iCloud and it's wonderful to have the grade sheets (in Numbers) and the syllabi (in Pages) for my various adjunct courses (I'm allegedly retired as a college professor, but teaching several courses for area community colleges) available to me on my Mac, my iPhone and my iPad. I can work on them on either one (the iPhone is iffy because of the small screen) and I can access them anywhere.
	I would love for Nisus to be an iPad app as well since I use it a great deal on my Macs and would love to have the same mobility.
	Mountain Lion will add easier document access from the cloud and I look forward to that. Currently, if I have a document in iCloud that I want to open on my Mac, I have to open a browser window and go to icloud.com. And do that again if I want to save the document there from my Mac. If I work on my iPad, the cloud is my automatic storage with no browser required.
	Make address books and calendars have the same name in both iOS and OS X just makes sense too.

> Thus if a mobile operating system ['the iOS' variety] can be ported to a desktop-tied device [iMac], moving from one to the other is simple. No other manufacture/software-developer can do this, and persons possibly two-generations younger than me are showing how they prefer. I have found that reading newspapers, books, PDFs, etc on iPad are much easier for me than having to hold a newspaper or book in the hand.

	Mobility is the key. Apple has shown how the iPad can be a productivity device, not just a consumption device. I left my laptop at home when I went to San Antonio last year to do a presentation.  I created the Keynote on the iPad and, using an Apple adapter to connect to the projector cable, did my presentation from the iPad. The iPad also gave me full access to the web, to my e-mail and my contacts and calendars. And one doesn't have to get an iPad out of one's bag to go through airport security, as is necessary with a laptop.

	Finally, for those using software that won't work in a new operating system, or owning Macs that can't run the new OS, why worry?  Continue using what you are using.  My sister up north uses my 2002 G3 iBook for web surfing and e-mail and her grandkids use it for papers and projects they do in Microsoft Office 2004. The iBook runs the last version of Tiger and does it quite well.

	Now if we can just get the fine Nisus folks to develop NWP for the iPad, I'd be very happy.

Gary