NISUS Archives

September 2015

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
B=C Andrus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2015 03:41:31 -0600

On 2015 Sep 29, at 1:20 am, Bob Stern wrote:

> I do not believe it is possible.  At some point OS X abandoned
> creator and type codes that were in the "resource fork" of OS 7 -
> OS 9 files.
>
> If you don't get a contrary answer on this listserv, post your
> question on the web forum.  Martin is sure to provide a definitive
> answer.
>
> Bob
_________________________

Howdy Gordon, Bob, and anyone else left here,

I agree w/Bob, but would add that individual files can be designated
to open with NWP (or whatever you choose) which over-rides the system
default.

As a sort of work-around, I have chosen to have NWP save to .rtfd
(regardless of whether it contains graphics), which in turn I have
set system default to open with NWP.

But come to think of it, somehow if I save TextEdit .rtfd files, they
open by default with TextEdit.  Then if I edit with NWP and save,
they open by default by NWP.  Editing again with TextEdit directs
them back there.  However, if I delete the graphic and have NWP save
the file in .rtf format, it opens by default with TextEdit.  So .rtf
and .rtfd act differently.  Not sure how this happens, but I like
that behavior— it just seems unexpected, now that I think about it.

This goes way beyond the original question, but I'll report my
experience fwiw: Saving with the graphic into .rtf format with NWP
makes a file that works fine with NWP, but opens by default with
TextEdit, which does not show the graphic.

Meanwhile fwiw, I keep TextEdit and NWP handy in the dock and/or
finder window title/tool bar so I can of course drag to the one of my
choice.

Ben Andrus
using OSX 10.4.11 and NWP 1.3
the Nisus Web forum for NWP is at:
   <http://nisus.com/forum/viewforum.php?
f=18&sid=b9d98dd86e4e8d90aceed339f1d47e5e>