NISUS Archives

November 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:37:05 -0700
Erik,

What I notice is that you say the .txt format, but in my world, that
means absolutely no format-- just ascii characters.  But, there may
be mismatch between the file name (i.e. .txt extension) and whether
it was truly saved as plain text by Nisus.  Merely changing the name
doesn't change the contents, though it may determine how the contents
are treated.  Typically by choosing the file type to save as auto
adjusts the file name extension.  TextEdit can change type face and
size, and even bold etc., but it applies to the whole document, and
is NOT saved, though you can changed user settings defaults for
viewing plain text files.

Do you perchance have the file name extensions turned off from
showing all the time?  If so, you could quickly become hopelessly
confused.  I have just resorted to having them show all the time,
ugly as they may seem to a Mac user, but I don't have to deal with
this sort of confusion...

Does this help any?

	Ben Andrus
	(where we  just endured a snow blizzard which was blamed for 600
wrecks in the state!)