NISUS Archives

December 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2010 21:43:49 +0900
Hello All,

Best season greetings to all of you! I wish you a very happy
Christmas and a peaceful, happy and fruitful new year!

-------

Hello Kino,

Thank you for your new macro. Although I don't understand well what
is the point of your macro (I have never made an index with NWP...),
I guess that your macro has *also* some "educational" purpose, in the
sense that it can probably be a prototype for many macros of the same
kind. So I would like to ask you to explain us the meaning of your
macro lines, to instruct us about the macro language.

I think that the new Nisus macro language (which is now not so
new...) is a very powerful tool offered to users, but its usefulness
remains very limited, because it appears to many of us excessively
difficult to understand. The lack of an easy tutorial is a very
important shortcoming in NWP as a product. It would seem to me that
your macro(s) can be very good model(s) to begin to understand better
this macro language, and a guide to try to write ourselves macros
which we would need (even if in fact, it is difficult to do that...)

It seems to me that your macro parses the entire texts of a document
looking for a specific attribute (the existence of a link in this
case), making a "list" of all the instances of texts with a link,
then goes through it from the end to the beginning, inserting after
each instance a text consisting of the "prefix" plus the link text
plus the "postfix". Is this right?

Can I ask you to add comments to your macro lines, so that we would
be able to understand a little better their meaning; then perhaps I
would ask you more questions about some of the points which will be
more difficult to understand, etc.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regard,

Nobumi Iyanaga