NISUS Archives

March 2020

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Hamid Haji <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 2020 15:55:19 +0000
> On 28 Mar 2020, at 14:40, Timothy Williams <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> They
>

> I wish to send a novella in EPUB format.
>
> When I export the Nisus file under EPUB, for some reason the text stops after the first page break.
This appears to be a bug; I have encountered this bug when exporting a Nisus RTF file with section breaks to PDF.
I exported the same RTF file to “Microsoft Word Format (binary .doc) and then opened the .doc file in NIsus and saved it as RTF and then managed to export the file to PDF.

> When I take the .rtf file to Calibre and get Calibre to convert into EPUB, I get all the notes at the beginning of the EPUB text.

I do not get the same result; footnotes appear as endnotes in EPUB, but they are not linked to the footnote references.

> Two questions, then:
>
> How do I satisfactorily export a file as EPUB for use on Apple Books?

Try this online file convertor:

https://onlineconvertfree.com/convert-format/rtf-to-epub/

Footnotes will be preserved and linked as popup text where footnote references appear.

> How do I save an .rtf WITHOUT the notes/comments?

Make a test copy of your Nisus RTF file. Open the file in TextEdit and save it; this will kill notes and comments (which TextEdit does not support). Open the saved file in Nisus; Character styles will be preserved; most paragraph styles will be preserved; some paragraph styles will need to be reapplied in Nisus

Hamid