NISUS Archives

July 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Brownie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:23:34 +0300
Anne Cuneo wrote:
> My puzzlement isn't going to help any of you with your technical problems, I am
> still hesitating to upgrade myself. But I am really puzzled to see that, if I
> understand correctly, Apple makes very difficult, if not impossible, to keep
> Rosetta. Working conditions are made worse for many million peoples in many
> lands in the name of free enterprise, supposedly to give more choice to
> everybody, but Apple tells us it has a monopole, and will force consumers to
> give up irreplaceable programs.
> I love my Mac, but I find this scandalous.
> I am done with my two bits of irritation.
> Cheers.
> Anne

Could be worse. You might live in a country like PNG which doesn't have
the App Store, so you can't upgrade even if you wanted to (until the
USB-key solution ships)! Or be like me, in one country for the next few
months, with my bank in another - you can't access the App Store that
way, either (credit card billing address has to be the same country as
issuing bank and as current location). I may resort to buying myself an
iTunes gift card to get access to Lion...

John
--
John Brownie, [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
On furlough in Finland from: