NISUS Archives

November 2015

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2015 20:00:16 +0900
Hello Philip,

> On Nov 6, 2015, at 10:31 AM, spaelti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hello again Nobumi,
>
> Another point which occurred to me…
>
>> On Nov 5, 2015, at 9:42 , Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> 1. I asked Martin of Nisus to write for me a macro for indexing: what I was looking for was to find and select all the words (or chunks of strings) that are indexed with a specific topic name. I thought this would be useful for example to "Remove from index" all the occurrences of words, etc. indexed under a certain topic (this is often necessary because we often find that the topic names can be better after having indexed through all the file).
>
> The macro that Martin wrote and the one(s) I sent previously will work as you want, I believe, but I think you are overlooking a problem with this.
>
> The Martin macro (and my modification) will select items that are indexed with the search terms, but index topics are actually more complicated than that. These topics always contain *all* the topics that have been added to a bit of text. And if you remove the index, you will always remove *all* the topics that were applied to that text, not just the one you searched for.
>
> So imagine your document contains “Dracula” and you index it with both “Vampire” and “Dracula”, and then you use the Martin macro to search for “Vampire” and then remove the indexing, then the “Dracula” indexing will be gone as well.
>
> Another point to be careful about is that Martin’s macro will allow partial matches of topic. So to borrow your earlier example, if you search for “Yamato” and you remove the indexing on all found items, then “Yamato-takeru” will also be removed. And also any other indexing applied to those bits of text, that were indexed with “Yamato”, “Yamato-takeru”, etc.
>
> So if you want to remove or change all instances of an index topic in your document, it would probably be necessary to write a macro to do this, rather than using the macro to select all and then “Remove Indexing”, unless your indexing is very simple.

Yes, I understand this problem. Until now, I had not that problem, but that may occur certainly. I will be careful to not do such a thing. -- But it is true that it is very difficult to know under what topic(s) a bit of text is indexed; using "Index As..." dialogue box does not allow to edit the topic(s). I was surprised also that "Remove from index" menu is always active, even without any selection...

All this interface should be improved...

Best regard,

Nobumi Iyanaga
Tokyo,
Japan